Tulsa Symphony Orchestra’s Marketing Director will lead brand management and all external communications with an emphasis on generating new audience members while retaining the existing audiences in support of our primary annual revenue goals of ticket sales and fundraising. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated, experienced self-starter with a passion for the arts as well as experience and/or education in branding communications, advertising, promotions, and marketing.
Position Vacancy: Marketing Director Full-time, 40 hours per week
Salary: commensurate with background and experience
Application deadline: open until filled
Applications reviewed as received.
The Tulsa Symphony Orchestra (TSO) is seeking an experienced, well-rounded Marketing Director who reports to the Executive Director and works in conjunction and collaboration with fellow department heads, the administrative staff, Board of Directors, Chairs of Marketing and Branding, as well as the Marketing and Branding Committees.
The position is responsible for managing all aspects of strategic marketing and branding planning, continuity and delivery of consistent brand image and brand positioning, advertising, promotions, micro-marketing, public/community relations, digital and social media marketing, creative development of communications and materials, customer/audience experience (CX/AX), and database/CRM marketing utilizing Tessitura.
Brand and Marketing Management
• During the strategic planning process, participate and provide related information, and contribute marketing objectives, strategies, initiatives and timelines, as well as related information and data that will deliver the TSO strategic long-term and annual objectives and AX.
• With the Marketing and Branding Committees, and based on the TSO Strategic Plan, develop a comprehensive annual Branded Marketing and Audience Experience strategy implementation and communications plan for:
• TSO’s classics and movie/pops performance series within a ten-month season that will increase ticket sales and build new, younger, and more diverse audiences while maintaining the existing audiences.
• TSO’s chamber series and TSO@TU concerts that will generate new symphonic music fans and additional audiences for the classics concerts.
• Education programs that communicate TSO’s role in Tulsa and Northeastern Oklahoma as a leader in arts education.
• Community engagement/outreach, public appearances, and events in collaboration with the Orchestra Manager and Director of Education and Community Engagement.
• Consistently communicating and building TSO’s brand positioning of “Entertaining Musical Experiences for Everyone.”
• Increasing Top of Mind (TOM) awareness of TSO.
• Develop and implement both traditional and social media strategies with staff collaboration.
• Develop creative briefs to guide concepts and creative development addressing both traditional
symphony audiences and new audiences.
• Continually update and manage website designer or relevant staff for effective communications.
• Conduct and analyze timely audience and market research as needed, develop strategies based on survey analysis, and provide statistical and demographic information.
• Assist Orchestra Manager and Personnel Manager in the implementation of the Musicians’ Survey and other research.
• Maximize Tessitura ticket data to extract as much relevant data as possible.
• Develop and implement a system to extend coverage to all media via public relations. Establish and maintain positive contacts with local media outlets.
• Work with and train all staff to ensure consistent delivery of messages relating to the orchestra’s mission, brand positioning, and image in all PR/CR activities.
Administrative and Other Duties
• Supervise staff or outsourced graphic designer and website manager (designer).
• Work closely with and actively involve Branding and Marketing Committees for input, direction, ideas, and participation.
• Work with Director of Development and Fund Development Committee in the implementation of their fund-raising emails and social media campaigns to raise funds for TSO and awareness for donor events and annual gala.
• Get to know and work with musicians, especially those active in TSO committees and/or the Board of Directors, to understand the unique aspect of the TSO musician-integrated, nationally watched model.
• Available to work select evenings and weekends for performances and events, including working front of house for all performances and various events to ensure that every activity delivers an “Entertaining Musical Experience for Everyone.”
• Act as the liaison to the media and public and participate in artist hospitality and donor receptions.
• Work closely with the Artistic Committee to provide audience insights, audience research, and ticket sales history to inform programming decisions.
• Plan and manage annual marketing budget.
Critical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong marketing, advertising, communications, media, public relations, and creative experience.
• Knowledgeable and up-to-date on digital/social media marketing developments.
• Experience in arts marketing a plus.
• Ability and motivation to work as a team player in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment, balancing multiple projects under strict deadlines.
• Strength in developing and training marketing team.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
• Extensive program skills and experience. Tessitura knowledge a plus.
• Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and WordPress (or similar). Photoshop, Canva, or similar skills a plus.
Minimum bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, graphic design/ marketing combination, arts management or business, as well as demonstrated successful professional experience in the field. Minimum 10 years progressive experience with a marketing-based agency or company working in
multiple marketing disciplines, with at least 5 years managing a marketing department and/or large clients.
Email application materials including cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (please no letters at this time) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “TSO Marketing Director”.
Tulsa Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Tulsa Symphony Orchestra, Inc., 501(c)(3). EIN: 20-3798077.
Founded in November 2005, the unique musician-integrated concept of the Tulsa Symphony Orchestra has gained national attention as a practical alternative to the traditional orchestral structure. The foundation of TSO is a business model for orchestra integration that involves musicians at every level of operation as artists in the concert hall, on the office staff, and as active, contributing members of the Board of Directors and every functioning committee.